Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Adevent & Angel

ad·vent

[ad-vent]  
noun
1. a coming into place, view, or being; arrival: the advent of the holiday season. 
2. ( usually initial capital letter  ) the coming of Christ into the world.
3. ( initial capital letter  ) the period beginning four Sundays before Christmas, observed in commemoration of the coming of Christ into the world.
 
 
With all the craziness of the season it's nice to stop, take a breath, and remember why we celebrate Christmas. The eternal hope that was birthed into the world on that holy night.



After months and months, (okay maybe just a couple of weeks) I finally found an advent calendar for us to use this year. I'd like to get a permanent one we can use each year (besides our small gingerbread one). But this is what we are doing this year. I labeled 25 bags and we all decorated them with fun Christmas stickers...which was a fun family activity! I filled the bags with random little treats for the girls....a baggie of marshmallows, animal crackers, pink stamps, princess pins, play-do, candy canes, stickers, snow globes,  small oranges...just random goodies. Most of the things I dug out of my play room closet although I did buy a couple of things from the dollar store. Then I labeled scripture references on sticky notes and put on the bags. Each night we read the reference from the bible, pray, and open a bag. Several times throughout the day Finley will go grab her daddy's bible, "read" about Jesus, pray, and say, "Okay, it's time to open a bag!" Haha, kiddo, nice try! I have to remind her that we'll do it after supper...not at 9 in the morning...or 11...or 2...or 4...

Next year I'd like to get an advent wreath with candles and do a little family activity each Sunday evening to prepare for Christmas.


Our bags lined up on the table.






We also started a new tradition this year. You know the Elf on the Shelf? Well, this is kind of like that. Now, don't get me wrong...I think the Elf is hilarious and I love seeing all of my friends' creativity as they post pictures of their Elf's little mischievous adventures. I just decided that the elf was a bit creepy and I want my kiddos to behave because I say so...not because some elf is watching. We celebrate Santa in this house but I don't really like all the "naughty or nice" stuff. I want my kids to listen and obey because it is right...not so they'll get more presents!

Anyway, the Christmas Angel is a precious book that tells the story of how an angel appeared to Mary with a very special message. It then tells the Christmas story in a cute little sing-song poem. Then it says,
                  "Now open up your heart
                    And choose to give today.
                    Let's spread some Christmas cheer
                    In a very special way."

Then the angel says that she'll leave messages in the golden dust...of how you can give and serve others. Such a sweet little book! I just love the message and of course the girls love the angel and gold glitter!!!
Our first message..."Send a card!"
I love all the fun stuff and little traditions that come with this year. I definitely think that there are a ton out there, so you need to pick and choose or you will get totally overwhelmed. I love making the simple things fun and creating different traditions so that side of my personality goes crazy this time of year!!!

Grinch punch...lime sherbet and sprite...perfect treat for enjoying a classic..How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment