Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Very Finley Birthday

This past Saturday we had an Eric Carle themed 2nd birthday for our sweet Finley Rose. More specifically, the bugs for Eric Carle stories...The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Very Busy Spider, The Grouchy Ladybug, The Very Lonely Firefly, The Clumsy Click Beetle, and The Very Quiet Cricket.

My parents, grandparents, sister, and brother-in-law came in from Louisiana, we had family from Houston, Kyle's parents from Ft. Worth, and lots of friends from the area. I am so thankful for everyone who came, it really means so much to our family that you took time out of your busy day to help celebrate our Rosebud! The weekend was a little hectic, what with six additional people staying at my house, but honestly I couldn't have done it without everyone there. My dad was awesome in helping us set up the tents that my in-laws so thoughtfully bought for the weekend and he put together Finley's sand and water table. My brother-in-law Ben was the baby whisperer, he was so amazing with Rowynn and taking care of her so I could focus on the party and hosting. Stacy, my sister, helped entertain and dress Finley and she helped with the food. My mom also helped with the girls and helped with the food and beverages. She also bought all of the cookies, cake pops, and cupcakes for the party--a huge help! They were all so cute thanks to the talented Susan Dahlam! I was so thankful that Aunt Tina, Myca & Courtni were there too, can you believe they drove in from Houston to come to the party even though Myca had her wisdom teeth out on Thursday!?!? Seriously, how amazing is that?!?! I was so glad they were there, and glad I got to shop Tina's Scentsy store before the party--my house smelled amazing. \ And then there was my grandma...this woman never sits down! She helped me shop for the party, helped me make most of the food, cleaned the kitchen, took out trash, did laundry and anything and everything else. She made me tired just watching her! Seriously could not have done it without her and everyone else!

Here are some pictures from the party:

 Yummy Critter Cookies, inspired by Eric Carle!

Cake Pops---Oh my these were good!!!

Caterpillar Fruit Kabobs!


The Very Hungry Caterpillar Cupcakes!




Our centerpiece. It's got a picture of all the different food eaten by the caterpillar.


The Loot Bags & Cups

What was found in the bags--watercolor paint, sunglasses, bubbles,sidewalk chalk, a bug kit, bug suckers and of course the kiddos got a colorful cup.


We had the guest at the party sign a birthday message within the pages of  The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I saw this on another blog and love the idea of her having a keepsake book filled with sweet birthday messages! I got the book at Kohls for $5, so not a bad deal!


The Very Grouchy Ladybug Juice & Mint Water. The green thing in the middle is our butterfly house with the butterflies we grew. A few weeks ago we ordered caterpillars and were able to watch them grow, form cocoons, and transform into butterflies! Such a neat experience and they made a nice addition to the party. Thanks Maile for letting me borrow your butterfly house!

The food table!!! Chicken salad sandwiches, blackberry & raspberry (ladybug colors), crackers with cream cheese, cucumbers, and tomatoes, cookies, pretzels, turkey, salami, cheese, olives, cake pops, watermelon, cupcakes, fruit kabobs, pudding/oreo crumb/gummy worm in flower pots, salsa and chips, and we had Popsicles outside.


Outside-bounce house (thanks Maile!), pool, tent, and bean bag toss game.

Eric Carle tent and tunnel!

Ladybug photo-opp! Painted with care by Kyle & I!

Another of one of my projects! Bean bag toss game. My friend Jessica made bean bags out of The Very Hungry Caterpillar fabric!

Pool time!

The kiddos making caterpillars out of pom-poms, Popsicle sticks and googly eyes.

 

Her cute cake!

All week she kept asking for cake, but when it came time to blow out the candle, she decided to go into shy-mode. A mode I was unaware she had! But dad helped blow out the candle!

She kept closing her eyes...unpredictable toddlers!! But she sure loved eating the cake!

My little ladybug! Happy birthday sweet girl!!!

I sure do love you!!! Something fierce!!!

 











 




1 comment:

  1. Hello, I am having my daughter's and newphew's first bday in Jan and it is the very hungry caterpillar theme. I was wanting to know how you made the caterpillar bean bags toss game and the photo picture. What materials did you use to do this. Do you make this and sell it?

    Thank you

    TRM

    ReplyDelete