Saturday, April 14, 2012

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

***This post was mostly written back in January, but never posted...so here it is now. The videos are also from January, at the time she was 2 1/2.

I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault for teaching my 2 year old her lowercase letters. I've spent the last six months or so slowly teaching Finley her letters. All 26 letters. It was a long, painful process, but she knew all her letters and I was one proud momma. And then I realized that I'd have to now teach her the lowercase letters. All 26 letters. Again. I pretty much crawled into the fetal position and chewed my hair. Okay, so maybe that's exaggerating a bit. Or maybe not. I did pretty much ignore it. I mean, we had just learned the uppercase letters and I worried that telling her that this was a "R" as well as this "r" would be confusing and result in her forgetting everything I'd taught her. Obviously, I got a bit over worked by those 26 little letters. And it really wasn't that bad, I just didn't know how to go about it. We did some matching activities, big to little letters and I would point them out when we read, but it wasn't until we started reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom that it really clicked. And in about 3 days she learned her lowercase letters. Seriously...three. stinking.days. All that pent-up angst for nothing. We would read and re-read and read the story. And then we read it some more. And at the very end it has a list of letters that we would say together. And that is the tale of how my sweet girl learned her lowercase letters.

We also have Chicka Chicka 123 which has done wonders with her learning numbers!

And for your viewing pleasure.






No comments:

Post a Comment