Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Turkey, Leaves, & Mr. Scarecrow

For the last couple of weeks we've been learning about Thanksgiving and having fun with fall activities!

Our memory verse: "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good." Psalm 106:1



The other day we learned about turkeys. I let Finley listen to different turkey sounds online and we practiced our "Gobble, gobble!" We also had fun strutting like a turkey and I had a cute little poem about turkeys for Finley to learn.

Finley painted two paper plates brown while I cut out a beak, wattle, feathers and feet. After the plates were dry I cut the center of one out (for the head) and cut the rim in half (for the wings). Next I printed a picture of a turkey and set it up on her table. I glued our turkey's body together and put it on a tray with googly eyes, the cut out feet, beak, wattle, and feathers. Finley got to "build a turkey." She decided where each part went.

Isn't he cute? We talked about our turkey, how many feathers he had, his beak and wattle, etc.




We read a non-fiction book about how leaves change colors in the fall and then went for a walk around the neighborhood to look at the different trees. We also wrote in our tree journal. Then we came home and made our own fall tree! I traced the girls hands, from elbow to fingers onto brown construction paper, cut them out, glued them to a piece of white construction paper and then let the girls dip their fingertips in the paint to add leaves. Rowynn LOVED that she got to paint. She always enjoys anytime she gets to be a "big girl!"


I love how it turned out!



We also did some letter matching. I got a package of leaves at the dollar store and they've been in our fall sensory tub. Well, I dug them out and wrote a letter on each of them-lowercase on some, uppercase on the others. This was one of our tot trays this week. I had a basket of all the letters, but that was a tad overwhelming. She knows just about all of her uppercase letters, but doesn't really know lowercase. So I whipped up this activity as a jumping off point--something simple and easy to introduce the concept. Since it was her first time, I just pulled out four or five for her to match up. I did it with her at first and after a few times she was starting to recognize the letters.

When we got tired of letter matching we took the basket of leaves into the living room and threw them up in the air. About a million times. It was a big hit!

Little sister loved watching the leaves fall! She even got in on the action!



This is a sweet little book that is in our fall basket and Finley enjoys reading it..again, and again, and again! Since she really loves this book, we decided to make our own scarecrow! I just googled "scarecrow craft" and I found this little fellow. Super easy! The squares are construction paper that she glued down. I cut a slit on each side and slide a Popsicle stick down for the arms. I wrapped the top 1/3 in masking tape and Finley drew the face! She's really into drawing faces. The hat is a cupcake wrapper and the hair is constriction paper!

Mr. Scarecrow is a huge hit! She carries him around like this, using him as a puppet. Oh, how I love her sweet puppet voice!


Later in the day the girls were playing with their barn and I noticed that Finley had stuck Mr. Scarecrow out in the field. He's done a terrific job, we haven't seen one nasty crow! Hehehe!


No comments:

Post a Comment